Thursday, November 14, 2013

WHY DO WE BLOG?

This is a response to a request from Kate Nowak who is going to be a presenter at the April NCTM conference in New Orleans. The topic is blogging by and for teachers....WHY do we do this?

I blog because.....I enjoy it more than cleaning my oven and almost any other household chore.  I would rather blog than.....fill out more paperwork and sit through presentations on teacher evaluation instruments.  I love blogging more than I like.....listening to fabricated professional development offered in my district.

Reading, writing, and responding to math teacher blogs is MY professional development.  These folks are my math department, my colleagues, my inspiration, my models.  Some of them are half my age and have half of my years of experience.  They are talented, dedicated, creative, intelligent, positive, and forward-thinking!  I can't get enough of them.  I have made more changes in my teaching due to their inspiration than ALL the years of PD I have taken in person. Need I say more?

So, Kate, thanks for the opportunity to reflect on this.  I am sure you will be an amazing presenter. I wish I could be in New Orleans in April to join together with you all.  For now, I'll just keeping working on being a newbie in the MTBoS (Math Twitter Blog-o-Sphere for all you who are not yet in the know!). It's an honor to be one of your colleagues!

http://function-of-time.blogspot.com/2013/11/tell-me-why-you-blog.html

No comments:

Post a Comment