Monday, December 16, 2013

SODA SANTA

Four days til a two-week winter break, and teachers everywhere are asking..."How am I going to make it through this week?"  I must admit, I am looking forward to two weeks off as well, but I am enjoying teaching so much right now, I can't wait to work with my students this week with some holiday themed problem-solving!  I need that perfect combination of engagement, learning, and thinking to make this week enjoyable for us all.  Soda Santa to the rescue today.
 
Yummy Math comes through for me with this estimation activity.  Soda Santa is a display of carbonated beverage products at your local grocery store.  You may have walked past him or one of the companion displays and not even realized it.  While at my Safeway yesterday, I saw the Christmas tree design.  Normally, I wouldn't even given it a thought, but I was in my teacher-noticing mode.  I refrained from having my friend take my picture next to it. 
 
 
Yummy Math has some great suggestions for using this display for estimation, multiplication practice, and some algebraic thinking.  I wonder if we could get some geometry in there too....How many square feet of store space is required for this display?  What does Safeway charge the bottling company for this prime piece of real estate for advertising? How long does it take to put up this display? I'd like to translate this 3-D display onto paper on a grid and make a coordinate activity.
 
Is it math mania....or just too much caffeine this morning? 
 
For more soda display fun pictures, go to Flickr: The Soda Display group.

No comments:

Post a Comment