Friday, July 26, 2013

I Notice....I Wonder Part 2

I can definitely say that the professional development I have been doing recently has been sinking in! I was walking into the building the other day on my way to my classroom.  I've made this trek countless times over the last seven years, but this time was different! Do you see what I see? What do you notice?  What do you wonder?


Yes, that floor sure is shiny and clean!  I love the way it looks before about 800+ feet scuff it up and drag in half of the playground. But that's not what I noticed....

I had never noticed the potential of a math problem in the tile design of the hallway! My math nerd went into overdrive and began thinking of math problem-solving that could result from my observation!  There are three different colors of tiles in this hallway....I wonder if that is true all the way around the building.  I could quickly think of some area problems as well as a great connection to algebraic thinking! I wonder if the kids would enjoy roaming the hall and coming up with some problems of their own. Hmmmm.....

I would like to throw this picture out to the kids as a warm-up during that first week. And just ask them....what do you notice? what do you wonder?  I've been reading great math blogs by Dan Meyer and Fawn Nguyen about modifying the ordinary math problems kids see in math books and transforming them into rich mathematical experiences.  I wonder what they would do with this....

No comments:

Post a Comment