Thursday, August 1, 2013

FIRST MATH LESSON OF THE YEAR

Do any of you teachers agonize over that first lesson of the school year as much as I do? I've decided that I want to spend the first hour with my new recruits diving into content more than yadda-yadda-yadda with my syllabus and class rules.  Let's get a taste of what this class is going to be like everyday! Then let's talk about how we're going to make that class operate like a well-oiled machine.

So, I've been agonizing about lesson plans. What to do? I want the lesson to be challenging, engaging, reflective, a learning experience, an assessment of general skills, and a little bit of fun as well. It's similar to the experience of Writer's Block - I just can't commit an idea to paper until I think it's "just right." This morning I'm taking the plunge.
 
After the usual attendance record-keeping, making sure the kids are in the correct class, and introduction of myself to those who didn't come to our summer school, we are diving into group problem-solving with Checkerboard Squares. The directions are simple: Find the number of squares on this checkerboard. Record your thinking. We're going to have our first math discussion and student display of their work. My objective is to see how my newbies work together and how they persevere in problem solving.

There are many descriptions of this activity online. Here's an interesting interactive model: http://www.donbeaty.com/CJHS/checkerboardmodel.htm. Or look at this: http://math.rice.edu/~lanius/domath/page2.html.  I might use these after students have quite a while to wrestle with this problem or as an explanation. Today I want to dive into allowing my kids the opportunity to struggle a little bit with some guidance a la Mathematical Practices.

It's going to be a great first day!


 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. LOVE this idea! I think I will have to "borrow" your first day idea and try it myself with my sixth grade gifted students. I know they will think it is NOT math, and that it is easy...that will be the fun part! Thanks for sharing. I wish I could become a follower but you don't have GFC (google friend connect) or Bloglovin follower buttons. If you decide to add that feature, let me know (of if you want help setting it up). I think you have great ideas and lots of teachers would love to follow along.
    Sidney
    teachingisagift@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a handout of the checkerboard or did you just project it? I really would like to do this on my first day but don't want to reinvent the wheel if you have a printable version of the checkerboard. LOVE the idea...has me thinking too! Also, do you have a link to the "answer"?
    Sidney
    teachingisagift@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sidney! I would love to add a GFC on my blog. I could use your help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea but what is the answer. These types of problems drive me crazy without an answer. Thanks
    Kristy @ 2 Peas and a Dog Teaching Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you just hate that? There are 204! We made a t-chart to record the number of 1x1 and 8x8 squares, then carefully counted all the 2x2 squares. The students were able to then see the pattern to find the other sizes! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  5. I'm with you on the agonizing over getting it "just right" part. I still have almost a month, so I'm trying not to let my mind spend too much time there just yet though!

    Welcome to blogging!

    Tammy - aka Madame Aiello @ Teaching FSL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy the last few weeks of rest - thanks for stopping by! Oh, by the way....I can never get it "wrong" or "exactly right" - how about you? LOL

      Delete